Duggie's Home Page
Duggie is the Speech and Hearing Group mannikin, a trusted
fibreglass friend with acute hearing and a healthy tan.
After an extended working holiday to IDIAP
in Switzerland, Duggie has now gone on another trip to help Martin Cooke
settle into his new job as Ikerbasque
Research Professor at the University of
the Basque Country, Spain.
Nine interesting things you didn't know about Duggie...
Duggie was named after Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert
Steuart Bader CBE, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar, FRAeS, DL,
RAF (1910 – 1982).
- Duggie doesn't have much hair. This means he has very high
levels of testosterone and is therefore probably the most
sexually magnetic member of the speech and hearing group.
- Duggie is hollow... but very heavy.
- Duggie has realistic rubber ears. They really are very
convincing and could easily be mistaken for real ears.
- Duggie is growing up fast. He is nearly ten years old.
- Duggie does not have any parents. He thinks the stork brought
him, but actually he was purchased with a grant from the
- Duggie's ambition is to appear in an advert for Volvo cars.
- Duggie can hear perfectly even though he has a microphone
wodged in each ear.
- Duggie's favourite rock band is the Crash Test Dummies.
- Duggie's favourite film is Blade Runner (It makes him think
he's more than a dummy).